Friday, June 19, 2020 - Monday, September 07, 2020
Last summer, we introduced the Adventures of Flat Jesus as a fun way to remember to keep Christ at the center of our lives and to spread the gospel wherever we go. This summer, in the midst of “safer-at-home,” much of our state and nation is closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19. But Flat Jesus 2020 has his PPE and is ready to share the adventure with you.
WHO IS FLAT JESUS?
The original “flat” character was Flat Stanley, star of a book by Jeff Brown in which a boy has remarkable adventures after waking up one day to discover he is flattened to half-an-inch thick. This was the beginning of the Flat Stanley project in schools to help children with literacy and geography and from this grew the Flat Jesus Project.
THE FLAT JESUS PROJECT
“And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age,” Matthew 28:20. Flat Jesus reminds us to keep Christ at the center of our lives even, or especially when we are far from our church home. Whether you enjoy a socially-distanced driveway get-together, camping or hiking in the Colorado mountains, fellowship in the park, or just hanging out “safe at home,” take Flat Jesus along for the adventure. Then document the adventures with pictures you share with your First Presbyterian Church family. Make sure to include your family in the pictures! This project is for EVERYONE, not just families with children.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN FLAT JESUS
- Get creative! Decorate Flat Jesus - what color hair does he have? What color skin tone? How should his robes be decorated? How do you see Jesus?
- Make one for yourself and one for a friend.
- If you have access to a laminating machine, cut out and laminate your Flat Jesus. This way if he attempts to walk on water or spills a lot of wine, he’ll be protected!
- Take your Flat Jesus everywhere with you and take plenty of pictures.
- Share your pictures with us. Upload pictures to the FPC Flat Jesus Facebook page at facebook.com/FlatJesusFPCFC, upload pictures to your social media account using the hashtag #FlatJesusFPCFC or email pictures to .
- Talk with family and friends about what you and Flat Jesus experienced.
- Have fun!